Leather sofa sets give class and comfort to a room. They immediately impress visitors while giving you an unbelievably comfortable sitting area. Their warm colors, shiny appearance and universal appeal all work to lend these sofa sets an air of elegance that you simply don’t get without leather. That said, their price tag is no drop in the bucket. And while it makes sense to shell out the money to purchase one, it does not make sense to buy a new sofa because of a small tear. Repair small rips or tears yourself by following the steps below.
- Start by cleaning the area around the tear with a cloth soaked in rubbing alcohol.
- Using a scalpel, cut away the uneven or worn edges of the tear. This makes it easier to repair the damage.
- Place the canvas cloth from your leather repair kit into the tear with your tweezers, making sure it’s completely inside the tear and lying flat.
- Apply a dab of glue from the repair kit to the area between the tear and the cloth. Using a toothpick, press down lightly to secure the cloth to the sofa. Let dry for several hours.
- Add a thin layer of leather filler to the tear. Dry for 5 minutes after each layer and repeat until the tear is 75% filled.
- Apply two coats of leather color to the tear with a sponge. Blend outward for the most natural look. Apply and blend until you get the desired color.
- Let dry for up to ten minutes. Then sand the paint with 1200-grit sandpaper until smooth.
- Finally, apply another layer of color. Let dry. Apply a sealant on top for top quality.
Follow these steps and you should be good to go – without spending another couple hundred dollars on a new sofa set.